The practice area of family law encompasses some of the most difficult legal issues facing couples and families. When you are involved in a family law case, you need an experienced, compassionate attorney who can help you deal with these issues and move on with life.
About Family Law Cases in Louisiana
Some of the most common types of family law cases in the state of Louisiana include:
- Divorce. – Divorce cases arise when a married couple chooses to end their relationship legally. Before a divorce case can be completed in Louisiana, the couple must settle multiple issues, including the division of property, the division of debt, child custody and child support. If the couple cannot come to an agreement on one or more of these issues, mediation or a formal hearing may be required.
- Child Custody. – If a child’s parents don’t live at the same residence, a formal child custody agreement may be necessary. This agreement determines which parent can make decisions on the child’s behalf. It also determines where the child’s primary residence will be, and it lays out a visitation schedule to ensure that both parents are able to spend time with the child.
- Child Support. – In most cases, a child’s noncustodial parent must pay child support to the child’s custodial parent. The amount of support required is determine by Louisiana law based on the income of the parents, as well as other factors.
- Adoption. – The process of adoption allows you to add a child to your family legally. This process is required whether you are adopting a relative or a non-relative.
- Paternity. – Before child support or child custody arrangements can be made, the identity of the father’s child must sometimes be established by the court in a paternity case.
David Green Law Firm, LLC – Representing clients with dignity and respect
If you are involved in a family law case in the state of Louisiana, you need a representative who understands how difficult these cases can be. Here at the David Green Law Firm, we have an extensive knowledge of the law that pertains to these cases, and we treat every client with respect, dignity and compassion. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with our team or to learn more about our services.